Monday, July 4, 2011

Welcome to Cleveland?

The thing about the scenic route is it isn't when you're the driver.  I don't recommend it if you're going to have to deal with any traffic at all, and you will in the Cleveland area.

I will try not to be too hard on Cleveland.  I was warned that there's nothing really there, that the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is pretty much a Hard Rock Cafe with no food or drink, and there are no activities to speak of.  It seems to be true.

The city is dirty and unattractive.  What passed for a farmer's market in the city's center was a gathering of 8 small tables, 20 people (15 of which were queued up for the Chinese food truck), and a band that seemed a little deflated by the heat.  The few sites that inspired me to think about my camera were so heavily impeded by... stuff that I couldn't find any worthy angles for photographing.

We did have a decent lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe and a very enjoyable conversation with the bartender, Jenn.  I found an excellent pair of flip flops, saw two streets that qualify as pretty (see below), and I have the dubious honor of saying I've been there.


But I've saved the best for last.

I'm not a 'toilet humor' kinda gal, but this was so repulsive it was hilarious.  We arrived in Cleveland, parked, and walked 20 yards to this riveting sight.  Somebody was really fouling up the system.  And the air.

Must have been great to return to the car with this all around.



I laughed hard - between the moments of full-body gagging.  When a car started to drive toward the river of refuse, we ran for refuge.  The momentarily confused passengers loudly exclaimed their understanding of our behavior when the odor registered in their brains.  I was laughing, crying, and fighting an overwhelming urge to vomit.

Apparently someone didn't get the message...

What a welcome!  We didn't stay long.

No comments:

Post a Comment